Friday, January 18, 2008

Best TV Shows of 2007 (a little change of pace)

TV SHOWS:

What a strange year it was for TV this year. We started out the new fall season I thought very strong with a lot of solid shows but they all ended very abruptly, I wonder why? Oh yeah, the WGA Strike, yeah that played a HUGE role this year in the TV shows that we watched, as most of them ended their normal 23-24 episode long seasons with only 8-10 episodes. But luckily, like I said, there was still a lot of solid television on for me to talk about:


There is only one brand new show that premiered this year that can get my vote for the best show of this year if not the best show of ALL TIME, which is of course previously reserved for Mystery Science Theater 3000 and Arrested Development. That show is Pushing Daises; I have never fallen in love with a show as quickly as I have with this show. It instantly puts a smile on my face every second I watch of it. The story is just extremely well done, I mean sure it steals some of its elements from Dead Like Me, but hey, its from the same creator. Also this show stars the new love of my life, Anna Friel aka Chuck. The show is basically about a guy Ned who has the ability to bring back the dead but if they stay alive for more than 60 seconds, another person within their range will die. If he touches the person that he just raised from the dead again they stay dead, forever. The best part about this show is the style; it is a very stylized show. It feels like a giant Dr. Suess book come to life and the narrator on the show Jim Dale does a great job giving it the fantasy feel. I cannot recommend this show enough to everyone.


The Office, what can I say about this show that hasn't already been said by millions of people who watch it and pull out Michael Scott quotes everyday, I tend to use the ole "That's What She Said" too much, but hey, sometimes it works. This past season was OK, I'm not going to say great but it's so hard to judge these shows when we haven't had that much source material to do that off of. A few episodes I thought were just straight up bad though, surprisingly the one written by Steve Carell. And always remember folks…"Bear Bears Battlestar Galactica"


If you asked me earlier this year that I would look forward to a show every week that was on the CW, I probably would spit on you and say no thank you sir! Well probably not but Reaper is a show that came out of fucking nowhere. And its good, it's REAL good actually. It's about a kid who has to capture souls and send them back to hell; he works for the devil because his parents sold his soul to the devil. The writing is actually really solid and the acting is very well done, sometimes is can be hokey but it's a small flaw I can look past for an awesome show.


Flight of the Conchords, I really can't praise this show enough, catchy as hell tunes, very funny, and cool show.

Curb Your Enthusiasm this season was alright. I mean I really like this show, I always have but sometimes it gets a little old seeing Larry get into the same shit and sometimes you just want to jump in the screen and scream "STOP FUCKING UP". But the season finale was great, "HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM THE BLACKS".


If no one has noticed yet, I want to marry Tina Fey. A hot nerdy girl who is hilarious? Come on, where else are you going to find that? 30 Rock is slowly becoming one of my favorite shows and without Alec Baldwin and Tracey Morgan; it wouldn't be what it is. These two really steal the show I think and Tina is just an added bonus to an already awesome show.


Scrubs actually surprised me this year after ending last season with a horrible predictable ending; they have redeemed themselves this year for their final season. Unfortunately this season is being cut off early by the strike, so I don't know what's going to happen.


The Simpsons, still going strong I think, fuck the nay sayers. Sorry that's horrible writing I know, but I get so much crap for liking this show and not liking Family Guy, screw that I say. This show is still awesome and always will be.

Biggest disappointments so far have been Heroes Season 2, ugh, horrible writing, acting is still real shitty and a plot that is going nowhere; no thank you . My Name Is Earl, also not very good this season but I shouldn't judge it too hard as it didn't get its full season run in. South Park had a few disappointing episodes mixed in with a few good ones, 4 Kouracs.

Shows I still need to watch include: Dexter Season 1, Jekyll, Supernatural, The IT Crowd, and Battlestar Galactica Season 3.

No comments: